Hello July! How nice of you to greet us with 39 degree weather and smoky forest fire air, but none the less here you are! We have been having extremely higher than normal weather for the past two months so it’s hard to believe that summer is just starting! So the other day when it was a cool 28 degrees out I decided to try to this recipe. I was craving something full of flavor and full of nutrients. Enter in my love for pasta! It is simply something that I have never attempted to eliminate from my life, instead I have just opted for healthier ingredients and gluten free noodles. Although this recipe is meant to be vegetarian, I added some cooked chicken last minute which is completely optional. And don’t be scared of the spice, it is very mild, unlike the July temperatures outside my kitchen door. Happy cooking!
- 4 cups cooked rotini noodles (gluten free if you like)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (can substitute with white sugar)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 cup green peas (or lentils)
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 cup chick peas (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (optional for non vegetarian version)
1. Cook noodles according to directions and set aside. In a medium saucepan combine vegetable broth, coconut milk, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium low.
2. Add cooked noodles, peas, peppers and currants. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to heat through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Life is a combination of magic and pasta ~ Federico Fellini