It’s Friday!!! I don’t know about you but I am excited for the weekend!
Last night my sister and I went on a mini road trip to see Florida Georgia Line play in Penticton. Yeehaw!! I am a huge country music fan so of course I thought the concert was awesome!!! But after a road trip dinner of A&W burgers, fries and rootbeer (yuuuummmm) I am left feeling in need of some healthy recipes for the weekend. My fridge doesn’t even have enough food in it to feed a small family of ants so I am desperate for some groceries and meal prep. This recipe is the first I will be making.
My girlfriend Lise introduced this salad to me and I cannot get enough of it! With fresh kale, roasted yams, sauteed onions and feta it’s sweet and savoury and satisfying on many levels. So if you have a potluck or BBQ coming up, this is the perfect dish to bring! It pairs well with any bbq meat or by itself it’s a great lunch. Enjoy!!!
- 2 medium yams, cubed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, cut in slices
- 1 head kale, coarsely chopped
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta
- pine nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place peeled, cubed yams onto parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil and sea salt and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
2. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in large pan. Saute garlic, onions and kale. Remove from heat and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to lightly dress.
3. Toss roasted yam with kale mixture and garnish with feta cheese and pine nuts. Enjoy!
If you have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say Kool Whip on the side, you might be a redneck.~ Jeff Foxworthy