You wouldn’t think it’s almost summer with the weather we have been having for the past few days. I’m not complaining because I’ve always liked cloudy and rainy days to break up the heat. So when the weather is a little cooler, I’m happy to change up the menu and make some comfort food (or that could be the prego in me talking) because when it’s pouring outside I want a warm meal inside. Anyways, this shrimp and feta dish is a version of an Adkin’s recipe and is supposed to be served on its own like a stew or soup. But whose crazy idea was it to cut out carbs in the first place?! Mr. Adkin, you are silly man. So since I love carbs and don’t do diets… I serve mine with pasta, which in my opinion is waaayyy better. The ingredients don’t sound all the exciting but this dish is full of flavor and protein! So on those less than sunny summer days, indulge your noodle loving side and dig in.
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp diced fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bag large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté onion 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, wine, oregano and salt to skillet. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- Add shrimp to skillet, cook 2-3 minutes until just cooked through. Stir in cheese and parsley and simmer on low until ready to serve.
The belly rules the mind. ~Spanish Proverb