I’m sorry for the late post again, but yesterday my internet got me close to throwing my monitor out the window. I’m not very savvy when it comes to electronics, so at the first signs of a malfunction I convince myself that pressing every key at once and blowing on the modem should solve everything. So when it doesn’t I give up for the sake of saving my sanity. Anyways here it is none the less!
I have been on a bit of a cleaning spree lately. Okay… i’ll be honest, I’m always cleaning and organizing, but it’s been my goal since Christmas to go through every room and get rid of all things we’ve been holding onto that we really don’t need. I’ve been consigning clothes, selling housewares, donating books and bedding and now I’m down to the last few details…. literally all the nooks and crannies. The other day I went through my Tupperware and spice drawer for petes sake. But I love it……decluttering and organizing is like a massage for my brain. So lately I’ve been clearing out my freezer, but I was also determined to make a new dish with every item I brought out. So this time when I pulled out some spicy sausage I couldn’t help but visualize a savoury tomatoe base pasta. The ingredients in this recipe alone don’t sound too flavourful but when they all come together in this dish it’s like a circus on your tongue! Tomatoes, peppers, sausage and cheese. What more could you want? And stay tuned! I’ll be posting my latest house DIY project next!
1 package penne pasta
2 tsp coconut oil
3-4 spicy sausage links (squeeze out of casings)
1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 cup white wine (substitute chicken broth)
1 (15 ounce can) tomatoe sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced stewed tomatoes with garlic
1 (6 ounce) can tomatoe paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Place sausage and onion in the skillet and cook until meat is brown. Add green and red peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in wine, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss with cooked pasta, and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with mozzarella.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese on top is melted. Enjoy!
Pasta doesn’t make you fat. How much pasta you eat makes you fat