In my opinion, soups, stews and chili’s just need to be homemade. I never used to be a big fan of chili because the restaurant and store-bought chili’s just tasted too processed for my liking (and I’m the LEAST picky eater I know) So in order for me to eat it, I guess I needed to make it.
But I also don’t particularly enjoy babysitting a pot of chili on the stove for hours. Insert slow cooker here. If you’re like me, you don’t get up earlier than you have to. For anything, especially not to prepare dinner. So in the evening while I’m watching a little TV I get everything prepared and ready. Then I put the slow cooker insert into the fridge overnight. So first thing in the morning, I just have to put the insert back in the slow cooker and turn it on. So here is my favourite easy chili recipe. It took me a while to figure out what I put it because usually it’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that until it tastes right. Hope you like it!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (I like ground turkey and ground chicken as well)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 2 red, green or yellow pepper chopped
- 1 small can of tomatoe paste
- 1 large can of stewed tomatoes (garlic stewed tomatoes are great too)
- 1 can 6 bean medley
- 1 can chick peas
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- several drops tobasco sauce
- season with salt and pepper
*Secret Ingredients* (sharing is caring)
- 1 can of pork and beans in molasses sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onions and garlic until clear. Add meat and cook almost completely. Transfer to slow cooker
2. Chop celery, carrots and peppers and add to slow cooker.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. The longer the better!
Next to music there is nothing that lifts the spirits and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili – Harry James