It was my brother-in-laws wedding a few weeks ago and for the rehearsal dinner I was asked to make red velvet cake. I always prefer the self-serve aspect of cupcakes because no one it ever left with the mangled last piece, so cupcakes it was! I had never made red velvet cake before but I found it quite easy. The internet is flooded with tons of recipes and reviews. So with a couple secret ingredients I created my own. I will let you in on the frosting recipe though because it is so light, fluffy and delicious. (I would not recommend piping this frosting because it is too thin to hold peaks. I managed to pipe mine and it lasted long enough to snap a picture. It is meant more for icing a cake)
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.
Writing is like baking cupcakes, you’re trying to make something from the raw. With cupcakes it’s flour and eggs and stuff, and with books it’s ideas and words. The end result is the same though, you want people to eat them up.~ Emma Shortt