I absolutely love any and all types of lil’ snack mixes. Nuts and bolts, bits and bites, glazed walnuts, spiced pecans….. the list goes on. I also love the contrasting mix of sweet and salty, so these sweet & spicy pecans are the perfect combination of both. They are soooo good and a much healthier option than toasting them in butter. I usually only make these when I’m asked to bring my favourite potluck salad for dinner (pictured below). If I just make them for no reason, then I’ll eat the whole batch before they’re even cooled off. These are easy to make, healthy and cheaper then buying
preservative covered premade spiced nuts. Enjoy!
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg white and water. Stir in the pecans and mix until coated
- In a small bowl, mix together sugars, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cayenne. Sprinkle over the nuts and gently stir.
- Spread pecans on sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes checking often to avoid burning (learn from my mistakes)
Spinach and Strawberry Summer Salad
Toss together fresh spinach, sliced strawberries, diced red onion and Sweet & Spicy pecans. Drizzle with creamy poppyseed dressing! Voila!
“Friends are the final garnish in the Salad Bowl of Life” – Author Unknown