I never crave fast food but lately I can’t get enough of burgers! Veggies burgers, beef burgers, chicken burgers, turkey burgers…. It’s a sudden addiction for me. But since I value my arteries too much to visit the golden arches i’ve decided to improvise. PLUS it’s BBQ season! It’s so nice to be cooking outside vs in front of an oven for a change and food always seems to taste better when it’s cooked and eaten outside. I personally prefer leaner meat so this is a great healthy alternative if you’re limiting your red meat intake, or fast food intake. These turkey burgers remind me of thanksgiving dinner squashed between two buns and what’s not to love about that?! I serve mine with fresh coleslaw and fresh cut veggies. Or if I really need a fast food fix, I serve with homemade oven fries. Either way it’s a great summer dinner! Mmmmm….
- 8 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 1/2 plbs ground turkey breast
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small bell pepper, green, red or yellow, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 4 kaiser or hamburger buns
- havarti cheese
- red pepper relish
- leaf lettuce
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Set aside.
2. Combine and mix rest of ingredients in large bowl. Divide mixture into equal patties. BBQ for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. (if you want melted cheese then add during the last two minutes of cooking)
3. Pile cooked burgers onto buns. Top with cheese, turkey bacon, relish, lettuce and tomatoes. Enjoy!
It is better to have burnt and lost, then never to have barbecued at all. – William Shakespeare